Unfair final payout

Termination Pay

Workers have a legal right to advance warning or termination pay when they are terminated or let go. An employer is allowed to fire an employee at any time, but the law requires certain rules to be followed.

By law, employers must give workers a reasonable amount of notice before the last day of work, or compensation (money) instead of notice. Legal terms for this compensation are "termination pay," or "pay in lieu of notice." Sometimes this pay is also called "severance" or referred to as a "severance package." This payment is required to be paid unless you were dismissed for 'just cause', a legal term for misbehaviour. If you were not fired for 'just cause' and did not receive termination pay, your rights may have been violated.

The longer you work at a job, the more termination pay you should get. If you have been paid less than one month's worth of termination pay for each year that you have worked, you may be entitled to more by law. For example, if you worked at your current job for two years, but only received two weeks of termination pay, you should contact a lawyer at [email protected] to see if you are owed more. Our advice is free.

If you are owed termination pay, you can make a claim for this in court or complain to the Ministry of Labour (you cannot do both). Usually, you can obtain more termination pay in court than you can from the Ministry of Labour. To learn more, contact [email protected]

It is important to know that there are time restrictions for beginning a wrongful dismissal court case and for filing an Employment Standards Act complaint with the Ministry of Labour. Employees that have been fired or let go should seek legal assistance as soon as possible.

Contact Us

If you think your rights have been violated, contact [email protected] Click here to fill out an online application for legal assistance. A lawyer from [email protected] will review your complaint, provide you with free summary legal advice and assess whether you qualify for legal assistance. Our legal assistance is also free, but only available to qualifying low-income or disadvantaged workers.